Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Couldn't have said it better myself...

These poems were borrowed from Tales Told Tall, website of children's librarian and storyteller Michael Sullivan. My boss just told me he will be here in late March and will be doing some staff development ;-)

My Storytelling Creed

I believe in fairy tales
I believe they're true
I believe in fairy tales
Do you believe them too?

I believe in wishes made
when stars fall from the sky
I believe if birds can fly
Then maybe so can I.

I believe in magic spells
If you can only make them rhyme
I believe in unicorns
And Once Upon a Time...

I believe that leprechauns
Hide gold at rainbow's end
I believe adventure lies
Just 'round the river bend.

And I believe that every day
There's magic in the air
That heaven's not beyond our hopes
Its just beyond our fears.

*******************************************************************************
First Time at the Library
(Published in Public Libraries,
March/April 2003.)


My daddy said that I could pick
Most any book I see
From rows and rows and rows of them
Stacked high as two of me.

The books were falling off the shelves
And piled up on the floor
The lady there behind the desk
Was stacking even more.

I asked if I could take one home
She said, "Take two or three.
I have to put the rest away
And need the space you see."

She showed me every single book
That fell within her reach.
"Here's one for reading on the bus
And one for on the beach.

"Here's fifteen pets piled on a bed,
And here's a flying frog
A girl with pigtails long and red,
A teacher who's a dog.

"Here's one about a pig that sings,
A spider that can write."
So many, many, many books
Without an end in sight.

I trembled as I said, "I want
The one about a horse.
It's blue, I think," I said, "but I
Forgot the name of course."

My daddy slowly shook his head
He didn't see much chance.
But then the lady stopped and stared
Like she was in a trance.

A thousand books piled all around
Ten thousand, maybe more!
Her eyes took in the lot of them
Stacked ceiling to the floor.

I thought that she had gone to sleep
So rigid did she stand
Then smiled so sweet, reached out and put
Black Beauty in my hand.

No comments: