Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Teens rebel.... Library closes. WHAT?!?!

Lock the Library! Rowdy Students are Taking Over
In New Jersey, one library has grown frustrated by middle schoolers’ mix of pent-up energy, hormones and nascent independence.

Believe me. We have all no doubt felt this way about one patron or another. They drive you crazy, make you want to pull your hair out (or any other bad habit--drink Mountain Dew, smoke, etc), even go as far as kick them out for the day or eternity. But this library in Maplewood, NJ has decided to close it's doors after school from 2:45pm to 5pm, not only banning the "bad" teens but everyone, young, old and in between. The only people who don't get kicked out for those 2 hours and 15 minutes are the librarians. (That's totally not fair!!!)

I first saw this article on the YALSA-BK list-serv and then received the link from Lillian. I've seen other librarians responses, all of whom had great ideas to try to resolve the problem. Hire a security guard, partner with other youth organizations, help to create a teen center in a separate location. I realize that the problems these teens are causing are distressing. But there has to be a better, more positive way to reach them.

I'll admit that when I first started working as a part time teen librarian I was a bit apprehensive. I still remember high school and how teens can be. But as I eased into this job and eventually became a full-time teen librarian, I realized that I liked teens a lot. Not as much as the cute, cuddly little guys but enough. You have to see them as "BIG" kids and be consistent and firm while being friendly and open. I try to make my programs fun and inviting but I still ask them to follow the rules. I even had coloring sheets at my holiday open house because even mature, hot-stuff teens need a chance to relax and have fun.

I have a hard time believing that this solution will actually fix the problem. Who's to say those "bad" teens won't show up at 5 and cause the same amount of trouble or that they won't hang out on library property and be destructive during that block of time. Give them a voice. Let them be the ones to help fix their problem. The teens in our community were the ones who helped design our Teen Zone. My four teen shelvers help me with programming, anything from making copies to set up to helping at the programs. If you keep them busy, they won't have time to be destructive and if you make the library theirs, they won't want to destroy it.

I have had to kick several teens out for the day or longer. Last year we had an ongoing ordeal with two teen boys and the computer. We had to start by asking them to give up the computer for the day to kicking them out and calling parents. It even got as bad as one boy telling my director to "F*%# off". But after the summer (and a meeting involving the director and an apology) that teen has been back and is polite and well behaved. [side note.. as I'm writing this the other teen involved showed up to use the computer for the first time in 8 months... small world!].

I also realize that lots of people still have that notion that the library is a "quiet" place with dusty shelves, books that serve no purpose but looking pretty, and librarians with buns in their hair, horn rimmed glasses and a frown. Let's not forget the "SHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh!" But libraries have changed and have evolved into a quasi-community center. It is possible to get people to settle down without shushing them. We had a wonderful staff development day with Warren Graham, author of Black Belt Librarians. He was a library security guard for many years and has some great ways to talk to people. It is amazing how well people respond to the phrase "I don't know if you realize this but..."

I'm just glad I don't have to be the librarian at that library that has to kick all the regular patrons off their computers for those 2 hours. If they think the teens are bad, they'd better watch out. The weird thing is that they do have several teen programs scheduled for after school that aren't being cancelled. I can't imagine what kind of chaos will go on when they are letting those teens in but no one else.

2 comments:

Lillian said...

This was covered in our local news also. While I don't agree with what they did -- the library should serve the community -- I suspect this may be a ploy to underline the seriousness of the situation to local government and perhaps get more/appropriate resources.
My understanding is that the library does have a Teen Advisory Board and teen afterschool programs but the problem is with teens who refuse to participate in those programs but still go to the library to hang out for those two hours.

jennibean said...

I agree. I read the library's statement about the issue and it seem like there is another issue besides the teens and this is just the ploy to get the point across. Too bad.